Date: Sunday 18 December, 2016, 11:00 - 14:00
Get on your bike and ride the new South Bristol link.
Be one of the first to cycle the new South Bristol Link before it opens to traffic by dressing up in your Santa outfit and joining a mass participation, family-friendly, traffic-free ride on Sunday 18 December.
Registration from 10am with an 11am start from the Gatehouse Centre in Bishopsworth, Bristol, and goes for 4.5km into North Somerset.
Cyclists can then continue on for an additional kilometre along the Festival Way cycle path into Ashton Court for a mince pie and a hot or soft drink, and listen to carols sung by a Welsh male-voiced choir. Children will be able to see deer being fed.
The official Santa Claus outfit is:
- red trousers
- red coat trimmed with white
- black belt
- white beard
- red hat trimmed with white
For Terms & Conditions click on the link at the bottom of the page.
This Travelwest event has been organised by council staff and Alun Griffiths (Contractors) Ltd who are building the South Bristol Link.
Download the GROUP PHOTO (2MB).
See all photos from the ride here.
Get your certificate
One of Griffiths valued suppliers Marshalls are helping with funding for the event and will be providing a Tipper truck which will be displayed on the west Lawn Car park to give cyclists an opportunity to sit in the driver’s seat to view blind spots from the drivers perspective of a large rigid HGV.
See this link to Griffiths website for more information.
The easiest way to travel to the Gatehouse Centre in Bishopsworth is by bike. If you’re coming from the city centre or Bedminster the best route is via the Malago Greenway.
Maps showing the cycle routes to the Gatehouse Centre are available from the Better By Bike website.
If you are unable to cycle directly to the event, here are two parking areas options:
- Gatehouse Centre Car Park, BS13 9JN
- Cater Road Business Park. Few businesses trade on Sunday in this area so there is plenty of parking opportunity around Cater Road for a few hours. It’s a short walk/ride to the start of the ride at the Gatehouse Centre.
There is limited parking at these two locations. Please don’t park at Lidl or Home Bargains as they are likely to need the space for Christmas shoppers and have penalty notices for excess parking. Please park responsibly and considerately for the local community.
The nearest train station is Parson Street, Bedminster.
On the day
Pre-ride check-in opens at the Gatehouse Centre at 10am. The ride will start at 11am.
Please remember that the ride isn’t a race and we will be cycling together in convoy to Ashton Court.
- 10am Pre-ride sign-in at the Gatehouse Centre. You will be provided tickets for a mince pie and tea/coffee/soft drink at Ashton Court.
- 11am Ride starts.
- 12pm Ride arrives at Ashton Court.
- 12.15pm to 12.30pm Team photo on the lawn in front of Ashton Court Mansion), please listen for a whistle to start gathering.
- 1pm-1.30pm Santa will feed the deer by the far side of the main car park.
- 1.45pm Cyclists wishing to return to the start of the ride via the South Bristol Link to assemble and join support vehicle convoy at Ashton Road entrance for return journey . The road will only be open for a short period and will close immediately after the convoy has left.
Synergy, a Welsh male voice choir from Abergavenny, will be singing carols and yuletide songs inside the Mansion. The Travelwest roadshow and Dr Bike will also be at Ashton Court. You’ll also have the opportunity to sit in the driver’s seat of a lorry and see the blind spots from a driver’s perspective.
We’ll be filming a video along the route and at Ashton Court. This also involves the use of a drone camera that will be filming the convoy along the stretch between the A38 and the A370. We don’t want you to be surprised by this so we are letting you know in advance!
Video of Santa Ride 2017
Caring in Bristol: Supporting the homeless at Christmas
Caring in Bristol will be collecting donations at Ashton Court.
They look after homeless and vulnerable people in Bristol. Their volunteer-driven projects include recruiting hosts for young and vulnerable people over the festive period. Please give generously and help support this great charity.
Download the poster
Terms & Conditions
Please read the Terms and Conditions before the event.