The Coastal Town cycle route opened on Friday 7 July and is officially named Brean Down Way.
The route is designed as a leisure and commuter route and has been an aspiration for more than 20 years.
- Start at Uphill Warf Cafe and follow the path past the quarry and through Walborough nature reserve to Wayacre Drove.
- Then follow the stone dust path to Brean Cross sluice.
- Continue across the sluice (the River Axe). Here you’ll see a bird screen which has been constructed to prevent disturbance to birds in the estuary.
- Follow the route around Diamond Farm Caravan and Camping Park onto Weston Road.
- Follow the shared-use path to the end of this road.
- You will then need to cross Warren Road and take the bridleway down to the beach.
- You can ride along the beach to Brean Down and the National Trust Café.
- From there you can follow the Old Military Road up to the ridge and along to the old Fort to take in the far-reaching views. The National Trust has agreed to this as part of the route.
Watch the video
Photos by Alex Waeland