Bikeability is the ‘cycling proficiency’ test for the 21st century, designed to give the next generation the skills and confidence to ride their bikes on today’s roads.
Training is organised through schools and most are eligible for subsidised sessions paid for by local authorities.
Bikeability offers three levels:
- Level 1 – Designed to develop basic cycle training skills in a safe traffic free environment through fun and games activities. For ages 7-9 (Year 3 & 4).
- Level 2 – Designed to develop the skills, experience and confidence needed for cycling on roads. Experienced national standard instructors conduct these courses on quiet to moderate residential roads. For ages 9-11 (Year 5 & 6).
- Level 3 – Designed to ensure cyclists are able to manage all traffic conditions including busy roads, roundabouts and route planning. For ages 11+ (Year 7 onwards)
Interested in booking?
If your school is interested in promoting cycling and would like to book cycle training, please contact:
- Bristol City Council on 0117 922 4383
To book online: www.bristol.cycletms.com
- Life Cycle UK on 0117 353 4580
To book online: www.lifecycleuk.org.uk/schools-training
- South Gloucestershire on 01454 868449.
To book online: www.southglos.cycletms.com
- Bath and North East Somerset on 01225 394 259
To book online: www.cyclinginstructor.com/Bathnes_courses
- North Somerset on 01934 426 910
Helen Rosenthal, Bishopston wrote in to tell us about her son’s experience:
“I felt compelled to email and thank Bristol City Council for providing the Bikeability course for our children.
My 8 year old son recently completed his level one at St Bonaventure’s school and has come home buzzing about the course.
This new found excitement for cycling is so important. I am a lone parent of three children and have been on my own since my youngest was three months old.
I have struggled to get my children out on their bikes as it was always difficult to try teaching the older two with a defiant toddler in the picture.
I managed to show my son the basics but the course has really improved his confidence.
He cycles back from school very carefully and sensibly and now wants to cycle every day.
I believe that having the Bikeabilty course has help educate another future cyclist. Better for the environment and better for Bishopston.”