These are the terms and conditions which apply to your use of this website. Please read them carefully. By proceeding with access to this website you are deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions.
Please note that this website is intended for use by residents of the United Kingdom. It is not intended for residents and investors of other countries because the law and/or cycling conditions in other countries may restrict the distribution and relevance of the information on this website. For the avoidance of doubt none of the information on this website constitutes an offer to contract in any country in which it is available including the UK.
This website was created by Nameless Media, Bristol.
Better By Bike will endeavour to ensure that this website is accessible for 24 hours a day but will not be liable if, for any reason, the website is unavailable for any time or for any period. Better By Bike will have the right to suspend access to the site temporarily or permanently and without notice.
The information contained on this website is provided for information purposes only and Better By Bike will use reasonable care and skill to ensure that it is accurate at the date of publication. However, because of the nature of the internet, there may be circumstances in which errors occur within the information. Consequently Better By Bike makes no guarantee as to the accuracy of any information on this website and cannot accept liability for any errors or omissions within it.
Better By Bike accepts no responsibility for the content of or use of any website which is accessed via a hypertext link from this website. Better By Bike has user-generated content within its structure. Better By Bike cannot guarantee that the content submitted by users will not be offensive or inappropriate. Where this material is deemed offensive or inappropriate it will be removed as soon as it is identified. Better By Bike cannot guarantee that this website is free of viruses or technical defects of any description, and accepts no responsibility for any technical problems arising from your use of this website.
This website may write small files to your computer called ‘cookies’. We may use them for the following reasons:
- to ensure you are properly logged in where this is necessary to use the site.
- to track your progress through the site so we can make improvements to the service we offer you;
- to remember any preferences which the site may allow you to set.
The cookies we store on your computer do not contain any personally identifiable information. You do not have to accept cookies & you can disable them or change the way your computer handles them by adjusting your settings. See the ‘help’ function in your web browser or security software for more information. If you choose not to accept cookies, you may experience problems using areas of this website that require you to log on.
Copyright and other Intellectual Property Rights
Better By Bike is a registered trademark of the website Better By Bike which claims trademark rights in the logo. Better By Bike owns the copyright and all other intellectual property rights existing on or within this website.
You are not permitted to download, print, redistribute or extract any information from this website other than for your personal, non-commercial use. You are not permitted to reproduce, modify or in any way change any of the information available on this website.
Better By Bike has established this website in England. English Law shall govern its use at all times and in the event of a dispute the parties shall irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
Copyright and permissions
By submitting images or video to the website, each entrant confirms and warrants that:
a. they are the sole author of each entry and that it is their original work;
b. they own the copyright and any other intellectual property rights of each image;
c. they have the permission of anyone pictured in the image (or, where the image shows any persons under 18, the consent of their parent/guardian) for the usage rights required by betterbybike.info and Greater Bristol’s Better By Bike project and will indemnify betterbybike.info and Greater Bristol’s Better By Bike project against any claims made by any third parties in respect of such infringement; and
d. they have not licensed or disposed of any rights in the image that would conflict with uses to be made by citycycling.co.uk.
By entering a competition, you grant betterbybike.info and Greater Bristol’s Better By Bike project and its sponsors and supporters a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence to reproduce, enlarge, publish or exhibit, on any media, the images for any purpose directly connected with the competition. This may include, but is not limited to:
a. display at any exhibitions;
b. on a secure web browser for judging purposes;
c. on the betterbybike.info website;
d. for use in press releases to be distributed to national, regional & specialist press giving information about or promoting the competition;
For any use that falls outside this remit, royalties will be discussed & negotiated with the photographer concerned.
Entrants retain the copyright to images submitted.
he editors of betterbybike.info reserve the right to remove any entries from the competition that it feels may breach or contravene laws of public decency or may bring the photographer into disrepute. Such entries will be deemed as void and any fees paid will not be refunded.
The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into, and there is no right of appeal over the result. Should the entries in any category fall below the standard required by the competition organisers and the judges, then the organisers reserve the right not to award prizes or transfer prizes to other categories as they deem necessary.
Competition terms and conditions
1. These terms and conditions together with any specific rules set out in Competition Notices (as defined below) are the Competition Rules and apply to competitions on betterbybike.info. By entering a Competition, entrants agree to be bound by these Rules.
2. Each Competition is organised by the Better By Bike, a joint project between Bristol City Council, South Gloucestershire Council, North Somerset Council and Bath & NE Somerset Council.
3. Rules specific to each Competition are displayed in a notice on the page for such Competition (“Competition Notice”) and are incorporated into the Rules. In the event of differences or discrepancy between these terms and conditions and the Competition Notice, the Competition Notice shall prevail.
4. Better By Bike reserves the right to cancel or amend the Competition or the Rules without notice in extreme circumstances outside Better By Bike reasonable control. Any changes will be posted either within these terms and conditions or the Competition Notice.
5. In the event of any dispute regarding the Rules, conduct, results and all other matters relating to a Competition, the decision of Better By Bike shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
6. Better By Bike reserves the right not to award a prize (and to select an alternative winner) if Better By Bike is aware or has reasonable grounds to believe that a winner is not eligible. Entrants will be deemed ineligible if Better By Bike believes that an entrant has unduly influenced the judging criteria.
7. Additional eligibility requirements may apply to a specific Competition. These will be set out in the Competition Notice.
8. By entering the Competition, you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete. Better By Bike reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants.
9. Any address provided with your competition entry will be used to send any prizes so please make sure this is correct. Unless stated otherwise in the Competition Notice, Competitions are only open to residents of the United Kingdom.
10. Better By Bike reserves the right to disqualify any entrant if it has reasonable grounds to believe the entrant has breached any of the Rules.
11. In the event that any entrant is disqualified from the Competition, Better By Bike in its sole discretion may decide whether a replacement should be selected. In this event, any further entrant will be selected on the same criteria as the original entrant and will be subject to these Rules.
12. Unless stated otherwise in the Competition Notice, you may enter the Competition as many times as you like however where a winner has been selected and Better By Bike discovers or has reasonable grounds to believe the winner has used any software or automated process either to answer questions or to make bulk entries, Better By Bike may select an alternative winner. Any further winner will be selected on the same criteria as the original winner and will be subject to these Rules.
13. Competition entries must be made in the manner and by the closing date and time specified on the Competition Notice. Failure to do so will disqualify the entry.
14. There is no purchase requirement to enter a Competition and there is no charge to register for use of the website.
15. Proof of posting or emailing cannot be accepted as proof of delivery. Better By Bike cannot accept responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, destruction, alteration of or unauthorised access to Entries, or Entries lost, damaged or delayed as a result of server functions, technical issues, virus, bugs or other causes outside Better By Bike control.
16. Entrants should note that unless stated otherwise, Better By Bike does not accept responsibility for the return of any Entries, including those consisting of artistic or other material.
17. Unless stated otherwise in the Competition Notice, prize winners will be chosen at random from all correct Entries (for competitions involving answering questions or where entry is by emailing or otherwise providing a name and/or contact details to Better By Bike) or from all submitted entries (where creative or artistic merit or other subjective criteria apply to entries (unless these are being judged as set out in the Competition Notice)), within 28 days of the closing date specified in the Competition Notice. Tie-breakers will be judged by Better By Bike. In all matters, the decision of the judge(s) and Better By Bike shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
18. Prize winners will be notified in the manner and within the time specified on the Competition Notice (and may be contacted by Better By Bike or Better By Bike nominated supplier(s)). Return of any prize notification as undeliverable or failure to reply as specified in the notification (and within the time stated) may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. If more than one prize is awarded only one prize per entrant will be awarded. Competition winner(s)’ names may be published on the website.
19. Claims for prizes must be made in the manner and within the time specified on the Competition Notice. Failure to claim a prize within this time or in the manner specified may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
20. Prizes are non-transferable and there is no cash alternative. Better By Bike reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value at any time.
21. Prizes are awarded at Better By Bike discretion and no prizes will be awarded as a result of improper actions by or on behalf of any entrant. Where Entries are being judged on creative or artistic merit or other subjective criteria, Better By Bike and/or the Competition judges reserve the right not to select a winner, and/or to remove or amend selection criteria and/or the structure and operation of the Competition if Entries are not of the requisite standard.
Intellectual Property Rights & Use of Entries
22. Better By Bike does not, unless we agree this with you, claim any rights of ownership in your Entry. As such, you retain ownership of your Entry and, although Better By Bike will be able to use Entries as set out in the Rules, you will also have the right to use your Entry in any way you choose. Where any Entry is to be used in a different way (e.g. we are asking to own this) this will be made clear on the website and you will then be able to choose whether to enter the Competition. If you win a prize, as a condition to receipt of that prize, you may be required to sign a release form (in Better By Bike then current standard form) in connection with the prize-winning submission.
23. In consideration of Better By Bike agreeing to consider entrants to the Competition, each entrant hereby agrees that Better By Bike (and third parties authorised by Better By Bike) may make any and all Entries available on the website. You now grant Better By Bike (and third parties authorised by Better By Bike) a non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable licence (for the full period of any rights in the Entry) to use, display, publish, transmit, copy, make derivative works or podcasts from, edit, alter, store, re-format, sell and sub-licence the Entry for such purposes.
24. Better By Bike does not guarantee to use or otherwise make available any Entry. Better By Bike may also, in appropriate circumstances, and at its sole discretion, reject, edit, remove or disable access to Entries that appear to be legally or otherwise problematic e.g. infringe the copyright or other intellectual property or privacy rights of others, are defamatory etc. or for any other reason.
25. Your Entry and any information submitted by you must be personal to and relate specifically to you. You hereby warrant that your Entry and all information which you submit and/or distribute will not infringe the intellectual property, privacy or any other rights of any third party, and will not contain anything which is libellous, defamatory, obscene, indecent, harassing or threatening.
26. Better By Bike cannot accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering the Competition or as a result of accepting any prize. Better By Bike is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment or software, failure of any email or entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet, telephone lines or at any web site, or any combination of these, including any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer or mobile telephone related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in the Competition. Nothing shall exclude Better By Bike
Data Protection and Publicity
27. Winners may be requested to take part in promotional activity and Better By Bike reserves the right to use the names and addresses of winners, their photographs and audio and/or visual recordings of them in any publicity.
29. The Competition and Rules will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England. The Sites are only intended to be accessed from the United Kingdom. Better By Bike makes no representation that materials on the Site relating to this Competition are appropriate or available for use at other locations and access to them from territories where their contents are illegal is strictly prohibited. If you access the Site outside of the United Kingdom, you are responsible for compliance with all local laws.
Last updated 07/04/2016